Contribution of September Mourning Dove Nesting to Total Production in Central Texas

Nesting success and production of mourning doves (Zenaida macroura) was studied on the Texas A&M University Campus during 1978 and 1979. Data indicated that mourning dove nesting and production were highly variable between months within years and monthly between years. Nests initiated in August were the most important both in quantity (20% of total) and rate of success (32% of total).' Although September-initiated nests contributed only 5% of total nests and 6% of fledged young, August-initiated nests still active during early September contributed 20% of the total fledglings in 1978 and 26% in 1979.

Publication date
Starting page
Ending page