Please join the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) Technical Work Group (Buddy Baker (SEAFWA), Mike Bednarski (NEAFWA), Carolyn Caldwell (MAFWA), and Stewart Liley (WAFWA)) on Wednesday February 23rd from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. ET to discuss freshwater turtle and tortoise listings in the CITES Appendices and the implications to their conservation and management within your state.
The primary outcome of this meeting is to gain a better understanding of the state agencies’ views on the resource management implications from possible additional CITES freshwater turtle or tortoise listings. More information about the Work Group can be found here. A recent case study on freshwater turtle and tortoise trade and CITES is available here.
Register for the webinar by emailing Deb Hahn (email@example.com) by COB February 16, 2022. Feel free to share this invitation with additional appropriate state agency staff. In order to better inform the discussion, please respond to 4 questions via this link by COB February 16, 2022.
Topics for discussion include:
- Freshwater turtle and tortoise species currently listed in CITES;
- The likelihood of future proposals to list more species in the CITES Appendices;
- Steps the CITES Technical Work Group takes to gather input from State Agencies on proposals to list species in CITES;
- What are the consequences of further turtle listings to state management of turtle species?; and
- What are the consequences to sustainable trade in North American turtles?
What do we currently know about turtle trade in North America?
- Overview of State regulations pertaining to the collection of wild caught turtles and tortoises.
What are the data gaps related to turtle trade and its implications to the states’ ability to manage turtles?
- What is the degree of legal trade in the U.S.?
- What is the degree of illegal trade in North American turtles?
- How can the States better assess turtle trade and the consequences of CITES listings?
What actions should the States take on future proposals for CITES listings of North American turtles?
- Potential and upcoming listing proposals for the November CITES Conference of the Parties.
- Has the current Appendix III listing of NA turtles been of value to the states? Is it time to delist some of those species?
Questions for the State Agencies:
- How does your agency monitor/evaluate the status of native freshwater turtles and tortoises?
- Is the trade in your state farm generated, wild caught, or both?
- Are there turtle farms or commercial propagators in your State?
- Does your agency have regulatory authority?